Are You Worried About a Senior?

If you think that a senior is being mistreated, taken advantage of, or neglected, you need to do something. If there is immediate danger, call 911.

If the threat of danger is not immediate, try talking to the senior about your concerns. Encourage him or her to seek help. Offer your support and be respectful. Understand that these situations can be incredibly complicated. It can be very difficult for a senior to recognize that they are being mistreated. This is especially true if the situation involves a family member.

If the senior agrees to seek help, you can help them call Legal Services for the Elderly at 1-800-750-5353 for free and confidential legal advice.

If the senior can’t or won’t seek help, you can report your concerns to Adult Protective Services at 1-800-624-8404. You do not have to prove anything; you just have to report what you are seeing and explain why you are concerned. If your suspicions are confirmed, the authorities will help get the senior to a safe place or set up the appropriate support services.

Remember: If you are concerned for someone’s immediate safety, call 911!