Grandparent Rights

If someone is keeping you from seeing your grandchildren, Maine law might be able to help you. This section will describe your rights to see your grandchildren through visitation or by establishing custody. There are also laws that can help you if you are taking care of your grandchildren.

Family relationships are complicated and the laws can be confusing. Some of these rules are hard to understand. They may make you feel upset. If you are trying to get visitation rights or establish custody, you need to call an attorney. If you area Maine resident who is 60 or older, call the Legal Services for the Elderly Helpline at 1-800-750-5353 to talk to an attorney for free.